May 13, 2020
by Chrissy Mclean
This is the dreamiest bread served as a snack, part of a delicious meal or just munched in one sitting in a matter of minutes.
Our Head Chef Mark has worked up a recipe to keep you and your family full of this Italian flat bread for the foreseeable future.
Recipe creates two loaves
1200 Bread Flour
800ml Tepid Water
40g Fresh Yeast or 20g Dry Yeast
Lots of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Mix the yeast and water together then add in the other ingredients and mix.
- Knead for 5-10 minutes until the dough becomes elastic and then falls away from the side of the bowl.
- Proof in a Tupperware or cling filmed bowl until doubled in size, then knock back.
- Repeat this process twice again, so knock back the dough three times in total.
- Then, using a little flour, roll the bread out to match your baking tray (18x30cm tray is ideal per loaf).
- Proof for the fourth time in a baking tray with parchment and plenty of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. You want to have a 5cm puddle of oil covering the entire tray.
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Proof one more time in the tray.
- Once at least doubled in size, poke rosemary sprigs into the bread, drizzle liberally with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and sprinkle Malden salt over the top.
- Bake at 180c for 25 minutes, then remove from the oven tray and cook on a rack in the oven for a further 5-10 minutes until golden brown all over and when tapped on the bottom the bread produces a hollow sound.
Serve with a puddle of balsamic and olive oil, spread it with herby garlic butter and enjoy every mouthful!